Distinguished University Professor Award
See Award Winners
To honor and celebrate outstanding scholarly careers at Western by conferring on a select group of the best scholars the title of “Distinguished University Professor”.
- Honorary title of “Distinguished University Professor” while employed at Western, but will change to “Distinguished University Professor Emeritus” at retirement from Western.
- A one-time award of $10,000 to be used for scholarly activities at any time.
- A citation presented at an appropriate occasion
- The Distinguished University Professor will be asked to use the title in official documents, including papers, business cards and similar venues
- The total number of ‘active’ Distinguished University Professorships at any given time is capped at 3% of the full-time, tenured or probationary faculty members at Western.
Awards of Distinguished University Professors will
- Reinforce a culture of recognizing and celebrating excellence
- Celebrate the achievements of individuals who balance their scholarly activities while managing to be excellent at each activity
- Promote the spirit of participation in all activities of importance to the function of a healthy, research intensive University
- Provide a vehicle for demonstrating the success of Western’s faculty internally and externally.